A recent November 2023 NBC News poll brought some interesting findings to light – it turns out 52% of Americans are now gun owners or at the very least rely on someone else in the household to pack heat in the event of an emergency. That's a jump from 46% in 2019 and 42% in 2013, setting a record for gun-toting households in NBC poll history.
It seems like more folks are finally starting to see firearms as the self-defense tools they’re meant to be. Ironically (but unsurprisingly), most of those who advocate for stricter gun control don’t happen to own any guns at all. A CNN poll revealed that 76% of non-gun households support taking away firearms from the average American. On the flip side, only 45% of gun-owning households are in favor of any sort of gun control.
When it comes to the government's role, opinions are likewise divided. About 58% believe the government can put a stop to mass shootings, while the other 42% are a bit skeptical. Some argue that no matter what laws are in place, bad stuff is bound to happen. Murder's been a crime since biblical times, and even the threat of the death penalty hasn't been able to scare off determined murderers and terrorists.
So, who's responsible for your safety? Well, it looks like it's on you, not the government. You're your own first responder. In a worst-case scenario, the police might take a few minutes to swoop in, and by then, it could be too late.
So, what's your game plan? Take a good look at where you live, check out how prevalent crime is in your local area, and don't forget to look up your state's gun laws to see if you can even carry a gun to defend yourself in the first place. If safety's your top priority and your state allows it, consider applying for a concealed carry license. The best guarantor of your own safety is a trusty handgun you’re trained and familiar with. If you’re on the fence about carrying around a weapon or if your state’s laws don’t permit you to carry one, but you’re still concerned about gun violence in your area, consider a BulletSafe VP3 vest or a tactical plate carrier for that extra layer of protection.
The VP3 is the pinnacle of lightweight, concealable body armor. It's made from ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene with a blend of aramid fibers to make a lightweight yet dense material, weighing in at just 5.16lbs for an extra-large vest. You can slip it under your clothes or a hefty jacket without feeling like you're hauling around a suit of armor. Plus, it's NIJ certified and packs a punch, stopping everything from a 9mm to a .44 magnum.
BulletSafe's tactical plate carrier kit is equipped with Level IV plates, capable of defeating rifle fire from most firearms up to 30-06 AP. The no-nonsense plate carrier is lightweight and free of unnecessary obstructions, with integrated MOLLE webbing for users to add their own accessories. This plate carrier is perfect for security officers or law enforcement agencies who need the heavier kit to deal with more substantial security threats.
In a world where opinions on gun ownership and government intervention vary widely, it's clear that personal safety is a matter of individual responsibility. The rising number of gun owners reflects a growing belief in self-protection, as highlighted by shifting perspectives on gun control. Whether you choose to exercise your Second Amendment rights or advocate for stronger regulations, the reality is that being your own first responder is paramount. As discussions around safety continue, considering practical measures, like obtaining a concealed carry license or investing in protective gear like the BulletSafe VP3 vest, underscores the importance of proactive personal security. In the end, the path to safety may differ, but taking charge of your own well-being in a world where uncertainties persist is something we should all be thinking about.