8 months ago I read a book called Digital Gold, which was all about Bitcoin, it's implications, and development. The book was written by the NY Times writer who had covered the technology. It was a great read. I was surprised that a book about digital money could be interesting, but it was a well told story.
I'm not a Bitcoin investor, I guess I don't have the stomach for risk. Maybe that is why I make safety equipment? I did learn that some of the things that people like about Bitcoin are also some of the things some of our customers like. So we started offering the ability to buy a bulletproof vest using Bitcoin.
We used a combination of Shopify, Bitpay, and Orderhive to handle the transaction. BulletSafe's website's backend is provided by Shopify. Shopify offers a way for companies like ours to build a fairly nice web store efficiently. They also offer support for all sorts of cool things, like our Dealer Locator which is a plug-in app that we really like. Shopify also offers Bitpay integration, so we used Bitpay to accept the Bitcoin transaction. We also use an inventory/order management system called Orderhive to handle the shipment in our warehouse. So the order was shipped quickly and easily. Once set up it was as easy as accepting a credit card order.
It is nice to see people using Bitcoin as an actual way to buy things. It seems that most of what I have read lately about Bitcoin was written about people just buying and selling the currency itself and not really using it for its intended purpose.
So, while accepting Bitcoin hasn't been a big sales success for us. It does work. Perhaps despite the ups and downs the value of each Bitcoin carries, It is still a great way to complete a transaction.
President, BulletSafe Bulletproof Vests
Here is some advice for buying a bulletproof vest. You may find me slightly biased because I run BulletSafe, but I like to be really honest with people so I hope my advice is useful.
- Choose your protection level. Handguns or Rifle:
- Handguns: 89% of gun crime happens with handguns, and level IIIA soft armor will stop almost every handgun. So level IIIA is my suggestion.
- Rifles: If you might be involved in active shooter situations or you want something to wear while deer hunting on public land, you'll need rifle protection. This requires hard armor like our ceramic or PE plates. Level III is good for active shooter scenarios, but if you are hunting go with level IV to stop the rounds that deer hunters use.
- Choose your coverage area. Most people choose the coverage of a standard bulletproof vest. A vest covers almost twice the area of a standard plate carrier with 10x12 plates or soft panels, yet it costs just slightly more. Few people choose the combat ready protection of our Alpha. It is much bulkier than the popular BulletSafe Bulletproof Vest.
- Choose your budget.
- Less than $650 for a vest: Take a serious look at BulletSafe.
- More than $650 for a vest: Visit a local uniform shop. They will measure you and get you fit for something slightly lighter and more flexible.
- Plates under $200: Look at BulletSafe's Ceramic Plates. At 5.7lbs. they offer great protection at an affordable price.
- Plates over $200: Look at BulletSafe's Ultralight PE Plate. At 3.3 lbs. it is ultra light, they are $299.
- Choose your size carefully. Bulletproof vests do not fit like a shirt. Your shoulders, arms, and neck all fit outside the vest. The most important things about finding the right vest is your height and weight. Use our size chart to pick the right vest for you.
- Find your height and weight on the chart. Order this size show.
- If you are between two sizes:
- If you are fit and have a flat stomach, choose the smaller size.
- If you don't have a flat stomach, choose the larger size.
- This size is probably not the size shirt that you wear. Don't worry. Height and Weight is more important.
- Our vests run really large. Why? Because we normally sell them to security guards and those guys are big, so our vest is too.
- We do not make a 3X vest. Please use the height and weight chart. Most people who request a 3X are very well served with a 2X.
- Get free shipping. Use the coupon code "Blog" and receive free Ground shipping from BulletSafe.com. It's our way of saying thanks for paying attention and reading our blog.